Thursday, April 23, 2009

WA5 - Final

The cold air stung my face as I walked out my front door. I checked my bad ensuring my camera was in it's place. I considered grabbing the car keys, but decided against the impulse. What better way to discover the city than by foot? That's my assignment: Capture the city's essance. The trick: In one single shot. I had finally gotten my dream job as a photographer, and I couldn't let them down. I need this job much more than anyone knows. With the economy falling at a fast pace, and the violence growing within the city, I need to get away. Although my photography career has just begun, my physical and emotional safety if more important. I plan to save up my money as quickly as possible and leave this city that began so fresh, exciting, and full of possibilities. Now the violence has taken ahold of it, and the cost of living rising by the minute, it's like a timebomb waiting to erupt.
But how was I to capture that in one single shot? I remember receiving this assignment. My boss, Mr. Williams called me into his office, sat me down, and slid me the article about the city's changes throughout the years. There was a blank space, which was followed by a photo caption: Photo by Arnie Withfield. That was my motivation to accept this impossible task.
I've been walking for hours now, and gained only a slight headache and the potential cold later in the week. I'll be fired if I can't complete this task, and I desperately need the money if my plans are going to be followed through with.
Suddenly sirens blare past me. Maybe this is my break. An action shot of the police doing some good. I begin to pick up my pace, which progresses into a full-on sprint. I get there finally, and see men being questioned with stray spraypaint bottles on the ground. Obviously graffitti artists busted. I glance around and find exactly what I had needed all along. The site was indescribable. It was the most beautiful piece of graffitti I'd ever seen. It explained the situation fully. A beautiful piece of art in the worst part of town illegally on the side of a corporate building. Not only was it's oxymoronic ways perfect, it was my big break I had been searching for.

No comments: